SEARCH REGION

Custom Search

Wednesday, September 3, 2008

CURBISHLEY QUITS WEST-HAM

Alan Curbishley has resigned as manager of West Ham because of a lack of control over transfer policy.
Curbishley tendered his resignation on Wednesday and it was accepted by owner Bjorgolfur Gudmundsson.
The final straw for the 50-year-old had been the enforced sales of Anton Ferdinand and George McCartney.
Curbishley said decisions had been made "without involving me", amounting to "a breach of trust and confidence meaning I had no option but to leave."
The former West Ham player, who succeeded Alan Pardew as manager at Upton Park in December 2006, added: "The selection of players is critical to the job of manager and I had an agreement with the club that I alone would determine the composition of the squad.
"I started my West Ham career when I left school in 1974 and have remained a lifelong fan.
"I have been incredibly proud to manage such a great club and my decision to resign has been very tough.
"Nevertheless, I wish the club and the players every success in the future."
A West Ham statement said the club had accepted Curbishley's resignation "in the best interests of both parties".

No comments: